Friday, March 24, 2017

The Clock at the Biltmore

55 years ago, St. Paddy's Day also fell on a Friday. I was in New York City at the time, having just exited Grand Central Terminal following my trip down from New Rochelle on the New Haven RR's Stamford Local. My immediate mission: to view the clock at the Biltmore.

In those days, St. Patrick's Day was more YUGE than nowadays, and being on a Friday made it moreso. Yalie guys would ride the New Haven to Grand Central, exit on 42nd Street as I did, turn right, cross Vanderbilt Avenue to the Biltmore Hotel (long since razed) and head for the large clock in the lobby area.

The slogan for Ivy League guys and Seven Sisters gals was, "I'll meet you under the clock at the Biltmore." So while the Yalies were on their way, presumably Vassar girls were taking the New York Central down from Poughkeepsie and Smithies and Mt. Holyoke students were on their way from central Massachusetts.

I had no date, being a lowly slick-sleeve Army private from the Information School at Fort Slocum, years away from my own Ivy League days. But I did make a point of entering the Biltmore and checking out the clock scene. Nothing much was happening, so I continued on my way to my favorite cheap Italian restaurant down on West 34th Street.

No comments:

Post a Comment