Sunday, December 30, 2018

Analog Climate Regions


I saw the above image on a website that didn't indicate its origin.  I'll speculate that whoever created it made use of climate regions as defined by geographers for areas in North America and then tried to match these with the same or similar climate regions elsewhere.

Actually, some of these North American regions are strike me as being larger and more diverse than they probably should be, and ditto the analog areas.  So a good deal of judgment went into what the map shows.

Some of this judgment strikes me as being legitimate in a broad-brush way.  Consider the analogy of India to Mexico and nearby areas.  India has both hot, humid parts along with deserts.  So does Mexico and northern Central America.  Russia has grain-growing areas, timberlands, and Arctic zones.  So does the map area from the American Midwest to northern Canada and Alaska.

That said, I can't vouch for the accuracy of most of the analogs due to the fact that the only places I've lived for extended periods of time are the Puget Sound area, the northeastern USA and Korea.  The Puget Sound climate is indeed roughly similar to that of the British Isles.  On a trip to Ireland my late wife kept commenting on how similar some of the vegetation was to what she had in her garden.  Likewise, my ten-month experience in Korea that included visits to Japan suggests that linking the Richmond-Halifax strip to Japanese climate is a halfway reasonable approximation.

Regardless, I found the map amusing.

No comments:

Post a Comment